History of the Library

In the 1890s, the Current Events Club in Mount Morris decided that it was important for the community to have a library.  This group of women gathered their resources and started lending books out of one of the member’s home.  The project grew, and they were forced to find a different place to house their collection.  We know that it was housed at the Town Hall, on the balcony of a store downtown, and eventually in the Sandstone building on the campus.

The library was transferred to the town by the Current Events Club through a special election in May 1931.  At that point, it was legally established as a tax-supported village library.  In 1949, a building was constructed at the present site.  Two additions have been made, with the last being dedicated in the summer of 2002.